No products in the cart.
Friends of Arrow Rock was established in 1959 as a nonprofit organization dedicated to historic preservation and history education. Its professional staff includes an executive director, operations director and historical interpreters. In 2019, FAR entered into a partnership with Missouri State Parks to operate the J. Huston Tavern, and manages that business and its staff. Tavern staff includes a general manager, kitchen manager, kitchen staff, servers, bartenders and hosts.
Watch this page for current job opportunities with Friends of Arrow Rock.
J. Huston Tavern General Manager
- Full-time, salaried, year-round position, beginning March 15, 2021
- Salary: Commensurate with experience
- Minimum experience required: 5 years full-service restaurant experience with at least 2 years in management, or commensurate experience
- Must be bondable
The Tavern general manager is expected to:
- Practice gracious hospitality with guests, colleagues, vendors and the community.
- Be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays (including Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, 4th of July and Thanksgiving) when the Tavern is open for business.
- Interview, hire, train, oversee, and sometimes terminate employees, with assistance from the FAR executive director and Tavern Advisory Committee.
- Work with kitchen manager to manage inventory and order food and beverages, equipment, and supplies.
- Work with kitchen manager to oversee portion sizes, and the overall presentation of food.
- Establish menus and pricing in cooperation with the Tavern Advisory Committee.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure equipment is functioning properly and standards of safety and cleanliness are maintained at all times.
- Maintain the liquor license and all other licenses required to operate the restaurant in full force and effect.
- Ensure employees comply with health and food safety standards and regulations.
- Schedule staff hours and assign duties.
- Prepare food budgets and track payroll & tips; Review all food-service related bills and approve for payment.
- Complete and submit monthly and annual reports required by Missouri State Parks.
- With assistance from the FAR executive director and the Tavern Advisory Committee, establish standards for personnel performance and customer service.
- Investigate and resolve complaints regarding food quality or service.
- Work to ensure every guest experience is a positive one, from initial reservation telephone call or online inquiry and through the entire dining experience.
- See that customers are served properly and in a timely manner.
- Arrange for any necessary routine maintenance or repairs on equipment.
- Ensure dining rooms, restrooms, kitchen and storage areas are maintained in an orderly and clean condition.
- Immediately report any building maintenance conditions to the FAR executive director.
- Make sure ovens and other equipment are turned off, thermostats are set to the proper overnight temperatures, and lights are turned off at the end of the work day.
- Answer telephone calls and return messages promptly.
- Circulate through the restaurant, greeting customers and inviting their feedback.
- Become proficient in the use of the cash register system and train other staff in its use.
- Monitor the dining rooms and wait staff to identify and intervene on any customer service issues.
- Offer regular trainings for staff on proper hospitality and service techniques, and schedule time with staff for education sessions on Arrow Rock and Tavern history.
- With assistance from the FAR executive director and designated board representatives, actively market the Tavern via social media, through traditional advertising, and through letters and telephone calls to tour groups.
- With input from Tavern Advisory Committee, create special events to attract customers on non-theater, non-event dates.
- Monitor restaurant review sites and respond when appropriate.
- Schedule receptions and other group events and ensure every detail for those events is considered and covered.
- Submit all bills and purchase receipts to the FAR Executive Director on a weekly basis.
- Provide hourly employee payroll information to the accountant on scheduled dates.
- Become educated on the J. Huston Tavern and be able to guide tours of the building and answer guest questions about its history.
- Participate in weekly management meetings with the FAR executive director and operations director to communicate about upcoming events, celebrate successes and work through issues.
- Attend quarterly FAR board of trustees meetings to report on activities at the Tavern.